HARBOUR VILLAGE PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION, Inc.
Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
July 17th 2007
President, Brian Kirkpatrick, called the meeting to order at 10:03 am.
Board Members Present: Via teleconference: President: Brian Kirkpatrick, and Secretary: Donna Gerritsen. In person were Vice President: Rich Moreau, Treasurer: Ty Bevington and Director: Mike Chiara, thus establishing a quorum. Also present was Peter Grant, representing Peter Grant, Inc. the Association’s management company.
Notice of Meeting: A Meeting notice with agenda was posted in the normal manner in accordance with the Association Bylaws and Florida Statute #718.
Approval of Minutes:. Ty Bevington made a motion to approve the minutes of the 5/08/07 board meeting as previously distributed to board members. Rich Moreau seconded the motion. The motion passed 5-0.
Financial Report: Ty Bevington presented financial statements as of 6/30/07 showing that the Association is in sound financial condition. He went through a spread sheet of the year to date balance sheet changes and sought clarification from Management on several variations.
Management presented a letter from Symbiont Services regarding a large increase in the Pool Heater service contract. Rich Moreau made a motion instructing Management to obtain additional prices from Isles Pools and/or others and contract with an appropriate Vendor. Donna Gerritsen seconded the motion. The motion passed 5:0.
Management also presented a letter from Jarvis Emergency Services, Inc. an insurance repair contractor who was seeking an exclusive Emergency Services contract with the Association. After discussion it was felt that it was not in the best interest of the Association to lock in a single contractor for future potential emergency services but rather that if and when such services were needed this Contractor would be offered the opportunity to bid on the work.
· Address Change: Management was instructed to take all necessary actions required by the County’s address change, including notification, signage and legal document changes.
· Pool Deck Repairs: Management advised that this project has been completed. Additional paver bids are required prior on any further decisions.
· Pool furniture: Donna Gerritsen and Mike Chiara reported that the new pool furniture has been delivered. The next phase of this project is the purchase of potted plants for the pool deck area. Donna Gerritsen made a motion to purchase three large concrete pots and colorful plants using the balance of the funds previously allocated to this project. Rich Moreau seconded the motion. The motion passed 5:0
· Gate Project: Management advised that the County Zoning office has provided the following information. No 90 foot turn around is required. If the gate is 48” or less in height it can be installed at the property line. For a gate higher than 48” it must be set back 25 feet from the property line. Management presented one proposal from Gate Systems, Inc. and was instructed to obtain additional proposals from qualified firms. Management was also instructed to prepare a letter to Heritage of Sarasota, Inc. based on the terms and conditions of the existing agreement requesting that funds be placed in escrow for the funding of this project.
· Resident Registration process: Donna Gerritsen made a motion to implement a resident registration process to include Renters, Guests, the duration of their stay and contact phone numbers. Seconded by Mike Chiara. The motion passed 5:0. Management voiced concerns that Florida statutes may require that Renters not be treated differently from Owners, and that the resident registration process possibly needs to include Owners also. Management was instructed to ascertain the position the Association should adopt.
· Sea Wall Report: Management had been asked to have Charlotte County Seawall come out and inspect several areas of the river side of the concrete sea wall that appeared to have broken. Gene Extejt advised that there is no reason for concern, the areas observed are not a problem but are part of a tongue and groove system used during installation and often modified (by chipping/removal) to obtain the desired curve to the sea wall..
· Palm Tree Trimming: Rich Moreau was asked to oversee the trimming of the palm trees as deemed necessary.
· Palm Tree Replacement: Management advised that there is an urgent need to replace two diseased palm trees. Brian Kirkpatrick made a motion that Rich Moreau supervise the replacement of palms as required. Seconded by Ty Bevington. The motion passed 4:0 as Donna Gerritsen had left the meeting.
· Limit height of potted plants in walkways: No action was taken at this meeting. Directors in residence were asked to make observations of current situation and if it is felt that action is required it can be raised at a future board meeting.
· Limit to the number of vehicles allowed per unit: Discussion led to the conclusion that to date there has not been a problem except at the height of "season". It was felt it would be counter productive to start trying to police the parking beyond assuring compliance with our existing parking rules, which are clear about such things as types of vehicles allowed, that vehicles must be operable and licensed, and belong to a current Owner or resident.
· Implement Vehicle registration process: As part of the resident registration process vehicle details and license numbers could be obtained.
· Limit neighbor’s use of pool & fishing pier: With the intent to maintain good neighbor relations no formal action was taken but Management was instructed to insure that access was not abused.
· Babies in pool without swim diapers: It was noted that a rule is currently in place forbidding this action and notices are posted at the pool. Owners were reminded that policing of this rule is up to each and every Owner and they are encouraged to ask parents to insure compliance with the rule when they see a violation.
· Install locked gate on fishing pier: Management was instructed to obtain prices on the installation of a gate system on the pier.
· Install ‘No Trespassing’ signs along river wall & fishing pier: No action was taken on this. It was noted that there are existing signs on the fishing pier and that the Association has no right to attempt to control persons on the River beyond our property line.
· Appoint committee to research building a fence along Warren Ave.: No formal action was taken at this board meeting. Mike Chiara was asked to continue his research into the planting of trees/shrubs in this vicinity and report at the next board meeting.
The next Board meeting will be on September 27th at 10:00am
There being no further business before the Board the meeting was adjourned.